After pick up from your accommodation in Beaune, we start our day with a private guided visit of a 12th century Cistercian monastery, the Abbaye de Fontenay which is listed as a world historical monument by UNESCO. Founded in 1130 the Abbey fell into ruin after the French Revolution but has been loving restored by the owners in the 20th century to provide one of finest examples of Cistercian architecture in France.
Afterwards, in the picturesque medieval village of Flavigny sur Ozerain, we join the locals to have a rustic lunch in a Ferme Auberge run by a group of farmers’ wives using produce from farms in the region. You then have time for an optional self guided stroll around Flavigny, officially one of the most beautiful villages in France, with endless photographic opportunities and where the movie ‘Chocolat’ was filmed.
Our day will be completed with a visit to the stunning hillside village of Chateauneuf en Auxois, another of the most beautiful villages of France. We will walk past more medieval dwellings to the majestic 12th century fortified chateau for a private guided tour of its simply refurbished rooms.
We return home via the picturesque Ouche Valley running alongside the 18th century Burgundy canal.
Summary of what is included:
- Pick up and drop off from your accommodation in Beaune
- Transport in a spacious air conditioned people carrier
- Services of a local bi-lingual guide (mother tongue English)
- Private guided visit of the Abbeye de Fontenay
- Self guided walking tour of Flavigny sur Ozerain
- Drive through the Ouche Valley alongside the Burgundy canal
- Private guided visit of the Chateau of Chateauneuf en Auxois
Note that a considerable amount of driving and walking is included in this tour
Not included: Lunch, Items of a personal nature, Personal and cancellation insurance
Availability: This tour is available every day except Mondays
2 people - €345 per person
4 people - €250 per person